Generate and Grow Connection
Generation Farms offers integrative healing opportunities through wellness programs, horsemanship, nature, and professional training.
We are offering individual outdoor sessions mostly outside with COVID safety protocols in place.
2021 Trainings are online/onsite combinations. There will be new spaces available soon in Foundations.
We are looking for a half-time Administrator at Generation Farms to start in September. This is open to someone who supports the work we do and would like to offer behind the scenes support. You will need to have great skills with people, good computer and software skills, be organized (and ok working with people who may not be!) and be interested in a long-term commitment. Email Deborah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have our 2021 dates in the Workshops area. Explorations is entirely online with other programs a combination of online and onsite. We recognize that COVID may again influence our onsite plans.
The combination of online and onsite has been a big surprise in how well it has gone. People report that they prefer the combination which allows them to integrate the materials over an extended time and to save costs of travel and accommodations.
Please be in touch if you are interested.
No drop in visits please. Our programs require confidentiality. We do not offer trail riding or birthday parties.
Generation Farms is well known for our work with horses and people to create healing opportunities. Many children come to Generation Farms for counselling and support. People come from across Canada to learn the Generation Farms Approach. What may not be well known is that our work is not just with horses. As we move into our 20th year of programs we have developed diverse skills and expertise. Here is a short list of things to know about Generation Farms:
- We are fortunate to have a very skilled multi-disciplinary team.
- All of our staff have training in the Generation Farms Approach and follow the same principles. How they are applied depends on the specialty being offered.
- We have trauma specialists, a nature-based practitioner, EMDR therapists, somatically trained therapists, youth counsellors as well as equine specialists in our team. All our counselling staff have their MA or MSW and our Youth Workers have a minimum of BA level.
- While we do some long term work with children, our adult counselling is generally short term. A series of EFW and nature based sessions can be effective and also combine well with other longer term therapy approaches.
- We have students across Canada who have learned the Generation Farm Approach and are working in a refined way with people and horses.
- Training is scheduled every summer with mentoring continuing in the winter months. Go to our Training Page.
- Training includes Equine Professionals, Mental Health Professionals and Learning Professionals together in a rich learning environment.
- We are affiliated with the Professional Association for Equine Facilitated Wellness.
- We also have an interest in offering professional training in working with trauma, and in nature based approaches. Check back!
NATURE BASED AND WILDERNESS PROGRAMS
- These approaches are dear to our heart and thrive in our 33-acre facility in beautiful Yellow Point on Vancouver Island. It is not just farmland but includes forest and other areas to explore.
- This growing field offers solutions to many of the challenges in our busy lives as well as forming an opportunity to support natural healing.
- The philosophy and core principles are conducive to our EFW approach.
- Our reputation for working well with trauma comes from using an approach that creates the possiblity of change on a neural level. Present moment focus, working incrementally within a Window of Tolerance, and awareness of the body and the senses are major components of our trauma therapy.
- Our work is refined in the important areas of attachment healing and attunement.
- Working outside in nature has a strong helpful impact on healing.
- Our entire staff has expertise in what could be called a ‘trauma informed’ approach that was developed prior to that term becoming in general use.
RIDING AND HORSEMANSHIP
- Our coaches are trained in the same core principles as our counsellors and they use this expertise to create safe and healthy programs
- We have a dressage coach who specializes in working in relationship with your horse, rider position and effectiveness in a unique and encouraging approach. We have well trained school horses for those who want to relearn and grow. You can also bring your own horse.
- Our riding lesson program is small and we generally have a wait list for beginner riders.
- Therapeutic Riding is not our specialty. For that please contact one of the local programs with that focus.
Simple experiences can be naturally therapeutic.
There is calm at Generation Farms. Time to pause and to listen to the eagles and the wind in the trees. In this tranquil environment people come to rediscover their natural ability to heal and to experience themselves at their best.Some come to Generation Farms for the recreational benefits of riding and connecting with horses. Others come to heal deep trauma, improve relationships or develop confidence. A strong base of common values and consistent philosophy runs through all programs based on principles of connection and self-regulation.
There is a need for programs for people who do prefer or benefit from an alternative to traditional approaches. Our well-trained and experienced professional staff have chosen to use their talents to work in this organically healing way.